Wednesday, August 2, 2017

Back On Effexor

As I wrote before, the grand experiment of stopping Effexor has come to an end, today.  I went through a controlled draw down of Effexor starting 14 May.  I was on 225 mg of Effexor, a very high dosage according to my Neurologist and what I have researched.  The plan was to reduce the dosage to zero over 3 weeks.   May 28 was my last day on Effexor.  The side effects of stopping this drug have been terrible as I have written.   Yes, I did regain my ability to express my emotions.  That's has been a good and bad issue.  I also regained my sexual functions.  But, the autonomic portion of my brain, which had been diagnosed as dysfunctional, went completely wacky.   My BP spiked in the second week of the draw down causing headaches, ear ringing, loss of hearing, and severe dizziness.  I also experienced difficulty regulating my body temperature.

So today, I took my first Effexor pill in 10 weeks.  I am on 37 mg, a far cry from 270 mg.  The goal is to return my BP and other Autonomic functions to as close to normal as possible.  If I have not written this before, Effexor has been found to have a positive impact on Autonomic Dysfunction.  That discovery was a surprise to my Neurologist and me.

My hope is that I will retain some emotional release and some sexual function along with regulating the Autonomic Dysfunctional issues.  Again, we will see.  I also hope the Brain Zapping will subside! While it is less than the beginning of the draw down, it is still there, still intense, and still annoying.

So, the gran experiment is over.  I gave in or gave up.  I cannot defeat Effexor or live with the damage it caused me.  I wish I could tell the Neurologist that increased my dosage to the dangerous levels, what I think of him.  But, discretion may be the better part of valor.

I will lee you informed.

No comments:

Post a Comment