Saturday, July 1, 2017

Yesterday was a great day!

Yesterday, at the request of our Grand-Daughter In-Law, we went to the USS Alabama Memorial.  My Wife, Son, and Allie went to tour this great Battleship.  She wanted to get some idea of what I did for 40 years and the Alabama is a wonderful teaching tool.  I have not been on the Alabama for a couple of years and I was very excited to be "Home" on a Navy ship again.  Once aboard, I am young again!  My memories of being a Navy Gunner's Mate, a Master Chief, a Leader, a MAN, come alive.  I don't hurt!  I can run around the ship, bound up ladders, duck through hatches, and know exactly where I am on the ship, no matter what!!  People were following us and listening to my explanations of the systems on the ship.  I spent some time with young and older people, explaining al l the capabilities of the ship and her systems.  I was home!   I was young and alive again!!

Everyone else got worn out, but, at least in my mind, I could have gone on for hours more.  This may have been my last trip to the Alabama.  It was a good one.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great time. Your granddaughter in-law knows how to get you out of the bad feelings you have been in. Good job of her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you enjoyed the day. Happy 4th of July

    ReplyDelete
  3. And that will always be the Don Dolence I know. A teacher and a leader.

    ReplyDelete