Thursday, May 25, 2017

Living in a community I don't fit in.

The community I live in is a wonderful, luxurious, community.   I have written about this before.  But, the vast majority of the people that live here are over 80.  The community caters to people of that generation.  Nothing in the way of entertainment, eating venues, or care are modern, up to date, or state of the art.  There is an expansion of the Assisted Living and Skilled Care areas that is planned to start this year.  But, the first shovel of dirt has not been turned and it is almost June.  And while the plan for the extensions of these communities has a publicized Memory Support community, there is no information about these units or when they will be available.  With new Memory Support communities opening in Pensacola, I wonder if we made the right decision, based on the attitude here.

The present community has little capability to deal with Dementia patients.  My efforts to start a Memory Support group for those of us with Dementia was originally met with a brick wall from management and the nursing staff.  Persistence got the group started and now we are getting marginal, cursory support from management and the nursing staff.  But there is still NO publicity in any calendar or in the comment news ether about the group's meetings.  

Another issues is, since the average age is so high and so many of these folks still cling to Independent Living Apartments, there is little opportunity for younger Seniors to move in.   Many of these folks employ personal aids to take care of them in Independent Living apartments.  Sort of a personal, assisted living community!  That coupled with the fact that Azalea Trace is knows as a "Nursing Home" instead of a CCRC, does not help with the recruiting of younger residents.  But the "Nursing Home" reputation is well earned and deserved.

For instance, many people that live in Independent Living apartments cannot walk down stairs, use rotators or electric carts to move around, and if a FIRE broke out on a floor above the first floor, would be TRAPPED in their apartments, doomed to die.

Another issue for me is, the over 80 club that runs this place is also a bunch of retired Military Officers, most of which were reserves that never did anything, and all of them think Enlisted Personnel are personal servants who have no value and did nothing but scrub pots and clean toilets.  Trust me, you can't swing a Cat and not hit an O-6 around here!  (And I bet you do not know what the phrase "Swing a Cat" means!  No one here does, trust me.)

Maybe I am just having a difficult day.  I do have friends here, but no one that I am considered equal too.  I am always the "Burdened" individual in any conversation or situation.  I do many things to help the community including filling in for the Staff Chaplain for services and last year the Christmas Program.

Again, maybe this will pass, when I am 80!  The truth be told, I will be surprised if I make it to 67.


1 comment:

  1. Tell you what, O-6 are a dime a dozen, Master Chiefs certainly are not.

    ReplyDelete