Monday, May 29, 2017

I feel like hammered dog Do Do!

I was feeling physically and mentally bad for quite some time.  Recently I decided to ask my Neurologist to get me off of Effexor.  I had become convinced that Effexor was no longer benefiting me.  I knew the withdrawal would be difficult, but that was an understatement.

As we started the decrease in the dosage from 225 mg, to 150 mg, to 75 mg, and now to zero, my issues have increased.  Now, I have been without Effexor for two days.  The headaches and head pressurization, whack became terrible when I coughed, sneezed, or tried to blow my nose, have passed.  I still suffer, (and suffer is the correct word)  from numerous Electric Zaps in my brain and ears that sound like gun shots!!  I also have extremely LOUD ringing in my ears.  Now, my ears have had ringing since I was on the USS Mullinnix  (DD 944) in 1969!!  But this makes it difficult for me to hear.  Since the Internet says all of the Effexor will be out of my system Wednesday night, I have hopes these issues will pass.  In a nutshell, I am in misery.

Add to that misery the fact that we have been busy with the High School graduation of our youngest Grandson and the departure of our middle grandson to Boot Camp, and some responsibilities here at Azalea Trace, and you can see that I have not been able to hibernate like I would like.

I think, based on my personal experience and research, that Effexor is  a adequate drug to treat depression in the beginning.  But, like all SSRI drugs, it requires increases in dosage.  And at some point, looses it's effectiveness.  Getting off Effexor is a long, painful process that has not yet subsided. I pray I will start getting back to something that feels like "Normal" soon!!

2 comments:

  1. SF,
    Hope you feel much better soon. Thank you for sharing your tpugh times with us.

    God bless you.
    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  2. What you did was really no different from a cold turkey.
    Many people decide to try and "ride it out" but this can and usually does
    End in years of unnecessary suffering.
    Antidepressants are not like any other drug, their effect on the central nervous system and the rest of the nervous system is profound. The change back to your old wiring can only be accomplished
    By going back on the Effexor and tapering much much more slowly. No more than ten percent each drop and waiting each drop to see if any withdrawal shows up and then waiting for it to settle down.
    Even uder the best conditions and a slow slow taper there are still alot of suffering but much less than a cold turkey or too fast taper. With your lbd I wouldn't suggest trying it at all. it's just a very tough thing. I had the absolutely best conditions and it still took me four years to taper. I made it and am doing fine almost three yrs later but I still suffered quite a bit. If you still want to try it, get the best information and advise at the site "surviving antidepressant" lots of knowledge and wisdom there. Unfortunately many have had to find out the hard way that des simply believe it or not don't know what they're talking about when it comes to antidepressants. Best of luck.

    ReplyDelete