Thursday, June 16, 2016

I like being with other Dementia patients!

Where I live, there is a woman, about my age, that has Frontal Lobe Dementia.  She still lives in Independent Living, like we do.  Her sister visits Her every week and we bump into each other and talk, mostly when Her sister is walking with Her.  I truly feel at ease when we talk.  I do not have to try to be normal!  She and I are on the same wave length and that is a comfortable feeling.  It is almost like living in the Chief's Mess, back on U.S. Navy Ships!   There, everyone spoke the same language, shared the same experiences, and were socially equal!

For me, a LBD patient, no matter who I am with, because of how my brain now works, I am not their equal, with the exception of other Dementia Patients in approximately the same stage of Dementia as I am.  That is why the new way of housing Dementia Patients, by their cognitive ability, is so perfect.  It groups the Patient in comfortable, social, groupings, that reduce disagreements and enhances their daily lives.  Unfortunately, where we live is not organized that way and only cares for Dementia Patients in Assisted Living or Skilled Care, without cognitive grouping.  Maybe that will change before I make the move.

Every time I see the Lady with Frontal Lobe Dementia, she asks me when we are going to sit down and discuss our diseases.  Hopefully we will bath remember that and make it happen soon.

1 comment:

  1. I truly feel at ease when we talk. I do not have to try to be normal! She and I are on the same wave length and that is a comfortable feeling.

    24 hour care at home

    ReplyDelete