Monday, May 30, 2016

How my memory works now

I have written before that I once had near total recall.  Especially for technical items related to the Navy.  I was known for that ability in my Rating and it served me well.  Bt now, my memory is totally different.

I reality, I have two memory systems.  The past, where I spend the vast majority of my time, and right now!  

I live in my past memories most of the time.  I spend most of my days and nights thinking about my Navy experience.  Or, I am reliving my youth.  I still have very vivid, detailed memories of the events of those times.  In may cases, I still remember specific technical issues from the Navy and events that occurred.  The times of these events are shrouded in fog as are some of the people's names, but the events themselves are still mostly clear.  However, they are fading slowly.

The second memory tier I have is "right now"!  Right now is more of an existence rather than a memory.  If you ask me what I did yesterday, I have a difficult time recalling most events of that day.  I do not remember what I ate or where we went.  For instance, playing pool, I do not remember previous shots or even if I am shooting "Stripes or Solids".   I do not remember to take my medications or most people's names.

But recall of recent events, people, or locations are very difficult for me.  For instance;  Last week we went to the High School Graduation of our middle Grandson's Girlfriend.  We went to Her home for a small reception after the ceremony.  There were a number of people there and I cannot tell you the name of a single person other that my Grandson and his Girlfriend.  Furthermore, I have difficulty with Her name, even though they have been an item for quite a while.

This lost area of time is very unnerving for me.  It seems as if I am not living in the "Here and Now" but rather in the past, with brief glimpses into "right now".

No comments:

Post a Comment