Saturday, September 26, 2015

Time to reduce things that I do

I wrote about my cognitive decline and my failed attempt at being a name tag maker.   But, because of the stress of preparation and travel, I have decided to give up our Ministry at Bay Breeze Assisted Living Facility.

We have been active in that Ministry for over three years.  It has been a blessing to us and I believe to the residents of Bay Breeze.  I was Blessed to Baptize two Men from Bay Breeze!  And we have studied  in-depth, at much of the Bible.  We have brought the Communion Table to these folks, a first for they community.  And the fellowship of those folks has strengthened me.

This Ministry started when we lived 5 minutes from Bay Breeze.  Now, it is a 40 minute drive, one way.  Then there is the time to prepare an in-depth, meat and potatoes, Bible study.   Many of the members of this Bible study group are well versed in the Bible!!  That means I must be on my toes!!  They have taught me more than I have taught them!

I love these folks and the staff.  But, it is more than I can to now.  And I really do not like to leave Azalea Trace.   I am, more and more, becoming a hermit in this 120 acre community.  Yes, I like to walk outside around the buildings.  Yes, I like to use the golf driving range. Yes, I wash the car in the car wash stall.  But all that is rift here, where I can still see my building.  It is familiar, comfortable, and now, my home.  I do not like to venture outside of what is familiar.

Then there is riding in the car.  Since things seem closer than they might be, I get a bit nervous and twitchy as a passenger.  In truth, I drive my Wife crazy!!  STOP!  Watch out!!  You're too close!!  STOP!!   You get the idea.

So, we will reluctantly say good-by to our friends at Bay Breeze.  I am disappointed, but, it is a necessary concession to Lewy Body Dementia.   It is also another illustration that I am progressing more into the third quarter if this game with LBD.  Oh, and by the way, I am loosing to LBD.  But, I knew I would.   While I thought I was winning in the first and part of the second quarter, I started loosing in the second half of the second quarter.  And now, we are well into the third quarter and LBD is running up the score!!  At least, that is the football analogy.

The inability to learn new skills that I wrote about before and my realization that the Bay Breeze ministry was wearing me out and over whelming me has knock me down emotionally.  I am not sure what is coming next.  I know it will difficult, uncomfortable, and challenging.   I know I am no longer up to the challenge, so LBD will win.  


1 comment:

  1. Hello
    Wanted to let you know that this article will be included in the dementia “Symptom Perspectives” monthly links tonight, October 30, 2015
    https://paper.li/f-1408973778
    I would like to thank you for sharing your lived experience. My hope is that these words and projects can become valuable resources for change in relationships, treatment, and policies.
    Much thanks,
    Tru

    ReplyDelete