Monday, March 23, 2015

They don't understand!

I have learned that no matter how much others try, not matter how much they really care, they do not understand what a LBD patient is going through!  It is not because they are dense, stupid, or self-centered.  It is because, like child birth, back surgery, or shingles, you have to experience it to understand it!

Today, we went to a new dentist.  A practice very close to the retirement community we live in.  It was recommended to us by a number of the residents here and they were right.  A very gentles hygienist and dentist.  A pleasant staff, and we were totally impressed.

My wife explained what I had and how it impacted me.  When the hygienist and dentist came in to treat me, they were complete ignorant of what LBD was or how it manifested itself, even though my wife gave them a good briefing.  The question is: Why were they so lost on about LBD?  The answer is, they just don't understand.

I guess if I were drooling on my shirt and peeing in my pants, they would have understood.  And trust me, I was close on both counts today.   But, the only time I got agitated was when I was filling out the new patient forms.  They kept asking me the same questions, sheet after sheet!!  I actually BARKED at the receptionist!!   I have no apologies for her.  They should change those repetitive, stupid, forms. And, they should understand I have LBD with a major in Dementia!!  Just look at my meds!!!

But, think about it.   I am this agitated and angry with a major dose of meds to control that.  What would I be without those drugs!!   Maybe they should recall me to active duty, take me off my meds, and send me to fight ISIL!!  On the meds, I am ready to strangle most people.

Oh well, those who do not HAVE LBD just cannot understand what we are going through.  It is not their fault, they just cannot understand what they have not personally experienced.   So, I try to remain calm, they to educate those who seem interested, and try not to choke those who don't.   These thing keep me busy, all the time.

4 comments:

  1. Sooty that you are dealing with this monster of a disease. I can certainly feel your frustration. I look forward to ready your blog. For it seems very difficult to be on my side trying to deal with, drs. Nurses. CNAs, insurance, state, legalities... the list just is endless. But to see it from your side shall help many become educated in LBD. Thank you for sharing. GBU

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry I am trying to write this in the ER with my Husband who has LBD. SO FORGIVE TYPOS, MY PET PEEVE.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry I am trying to write this in the ER with my Husband who has LBD. SO FORGIVE TYPOS, MY PET PEEVE.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sooty that you are dealing with this monster of a disease. I can certainly feel your frustration. I look forward to ready your blog. For it seems very difficult to be on my side trying to deal with, drs. Nurses. CNAs, insurance, state, legalities... the list just is endless. But to see it from your side shall help many become educated in LBD. Thank you for sharing. GBU

    ReplyDelete