Sunday, January 25, 2015

We become as we were

It seems, as this disease progresses, I become as I once was.  Now, if I want to go somewhere, I either need to take a bus or have my wife or a friend drive me there.  And, if she does not want to do what I want to do, well, I loose.  It is just like before I got my driver's license!  

And the Hank Williams' song that has the lyrics; "And the hangovers hurt more than they used too.  And corn bread and ice tea have taken the place of pills and 90 proof."  have become my reality.  All my rowdy friends HAVE settled down!

It is not the worst possibility.  Not having a hangover is a good thing.  But, loosing my independence is something I never figured on.  And a good liberty is going to a funeral and seeing a good spread of food!!

We went to a funeral today and they had an open bar!  I passed right by it because there was no coffee and I saw the chow line with fresh crescent rolls!!

I used to drink beer until my kidneys hurt!  I thought I was the only one with that problem.  But I talked to a friend of mine and he had the same issue.  I guess it is a Navy issue!

The things I used to be able to do, like drive, go places alone, control when I go to the bathroom, are now only memories.   But, in turn, I don't seem to miss those things anymore.  I do miss my friends, our outings and road trips, and my Church family.  But, as I said in the opening; I have become like I once was.  Directed, cared for, and dependent on those who care for me.   Life has gone full circle, almost.

No comments:

Post a Comment