Tuesday, November 4, 2014

How does it feel to have Dementia?

Good question!  How does it feel, what are the sensations, how do you see things, does it hurt?   All questions I bet you would like to have answers too.

First of all, only the Parkisonian issues related to LBD cause physical pain.  Now, the Lewy tangles impact parts of the brain that control bowel and urine issues and those can cause pain.  But you should already know what constipation feels like.

As for the mental issues related to the dementia part of LBD.  If you are a drinker of alcohol you may have an idea as to what I feel mentally.  For instance, today, I see the world around me at a distance.  My brain is responding very slowly.  My vision is fuzzy.  And my body movements are slow and clumsy.

You may have had those issues if you had a little typo much alcohol to drink.  But, drink more and your speech becomes slurred, you drool, maybe even wet your pants!  You loose control of what you say, and even babble!  Nothing looks right to you.

Then, when you wake up, you are confused.  You do not remember last night.  Maybe you don't even know where you are when you wake up!

All of this relates to how the dementia portion of LBD impacts me and I bet most LBD patients.  Right now, I feel like I have been drinking, steady, for a while!  Things look distant to me.  I am tired, lethargic, and disoriented.

So, that is my primer for those of you who ask the question on how we feel.  I hope this helped.

No comments:

Post a Comment