Wednesday, July 16, 2014

The effects of travel on me

We just returned from a 6 day trip to Iowa for a family reunion.  We stayed with my Wife's 94 year old cousin.  She still lives in her home, cooks, cleans house and pulls weeds in the yard!!  She is doing better than I am!   It was a very pleasant visit.  The reunion was on Saturday and there were over 100 people there.  It was a big success and a wonderful time of family members connecting.

That being said, the trip has taken it's toll on me.  For instance, either Sunday or Monday night, I had to get up to go to the bathroom.  Nothing new there.  I go out of bed and headed for the bathroom, and I was immediately surrounded by decorated Christmas trees!  No matter which way I turned, there were Christmas trees blocking my way.  They seems to have substance and actually impeded my movement.  Finally, I was able to read through the trees and feel the wall, the dresser, and finally, the door.

I also had a very vivid audio hallucination and saw a man walking across the back yard that was not there.   Since we have been home, I have been more mentally disconnected, disoriented, and confused.  I have said before that I do not travel well.  But this trip illustrated that fact even more.

It is disheartening since I was feeling pretty well before we left.  But that is the nature of LBD.  The "Up and Down" nature of this disease gives you false hope one day and despair the next.  I try not to attach too much positive energy to my "Up" days and not to be too dismayed by my "Down" days.  But, it is hard to do.

Right now, I am leveling off a my lower mental stage.  Not a bad position to have.  Level, is always my goal.  It really does not matter where I am, I just want to be on an even keel.  It is sort of like working for a boss that is a jerk one day and a good guy the next!  I would much rather work for the jerk that is always a jerk!  At least I know what I am dealing with everyday.  It is the same way with LBD.  I know this will progress downward.  So, I would rather go downward and stay there, than go down and then up and down again.

So, I do not think I will travel for a while!  I am not ready for another downward turn.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts, experiences and feelings here. My father-in-law was diagnosed with LBD this year and I can't even tell you how much it has helped me to read your words. I have been praying for you... Please keep sharing!!!

    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  2. After reading the blogs, the feelings really get warmed up.
    free tour estocolmo

    ReplyDelete
  3. This blog totally steps away from all those generic and symbolizes what well-written truly looks like.
    segway stockholm

    ReplyDelete