Thursday, May 1, 2014

Surgury

OK, I went to the surgeon today.  I was immediately comfortable with him.   He was up to date on the impact of General Anesthesia on Lewy Body Dementia patients and offered me two alternatives.  One;  No surgery and I will never lift anything heavy again.  My wife immediately said; "That won't work!!"  The second alternative was to do the surgery with a traditional incision and use local anesthetic.  The third was to do laproscopic surgery with General Anesthesia.  But that was ruled out because of the negative effects of putting me to sleep.

He assured me the Anesthesiologist would choose drugs to relax me that would have the least impact on my disease.  So, it looks like I am going to have my third hernia repaired.  The Surgeon also told me he could assure me I would not blow this one out!  I advise him not to bet on that one!!

I came away feeling sure of his abilities and his dedication to my well being.  The thing that made me feel the best was he was a student of Naval Gunnery!  I don't know why, but he was very interested in my career.  I told him we used to make beer can bazookas that shot tennis balls!  He asked me why propellant we used?  Lighter Fluid, I said!!  Now, I am committed to making him one!!  Sounds like fun!!

One more point.  When is the surgery.  It has not been scheduled yet.  But, I believe it will be soon.  I will keep you posted.

1 comment:

  1. I am so relieved you can do this without going under general anesthesia. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete