Thursday, May 22, 2014

Interesting surgery update

It is now a week since my hernia repair.  I feel great!  I am still a little tender in the surgery area but nothing big.  You may remember they used a local to do the surgery to preclude the mental decline from General Anesthesia that elderly dementia patients often experience.  But the interesting thing is, I am actually better off mentally after the surgery than I was before.  I am mentally sharper and I seem to be "Up" a notch from my pre-surgery mental position!!

My question is, what did they put in that IV to place me in a "Dream Like" state during the surgery?  I certainly woke up clear headed and alert!  If it works on other dementia patients like it did on me, all of us should get a dose of this drug.

On a related note, my left shoulder needs a rotator cuff repair and I have had that on hold because of the requirement for General Anesthesia.  The surgeon that did my hernia repair gave me the name of a Orthopedic Surgeon that does shoulder surgery with local anesthesia! I believe, as soon as I am 100% for the hernia repair, I am going to call him!  One more dose of that Nap Time Drug and I will be good as new!  The question is, how long doe it work.  No matter, it is working now and I love it!

2 comments:

  1. Hernia repair surgery is not as bad as people say . There may be some cases where complications arise and bad things happen but for the majority of time it is just the opposite. I am glad that your hernia surgery was completed without any complications. And all the best for your journey ahead...

    ReplyDelete
  2. "My question is, what did they put in that IV to place me in a "Dream Like" state during the surgery? I certainly woke up clear headed and alert! If it works on other dementia patients like it did on me, all of us should get a dose of this drug."

    This could be a really important question . . .

    ReplyDelete