Tuesday, February 4, 2014

The "Ups and Downs" of Lewy Body Dementia

Most if not all of you understand that LBD is a disease that hammers you one day and you feel almost normal the next.  That is frustrating for the patient and the caregiver.  But, it is a defining symptom of LBD.

It seems to me that the fluctuations had increased in frequency and magnitude over the last few months.  I have felt like moving to my concrete home on 40 acres and live without assistance, independently and then, just as quickly, I feel like I need to be in a memory support facility immediately!  Again, you can see how frustrating this is for all concerned.  But, more and more, I realize that I will never I've independently again.

This realization has really effected me.  For instance, I love cars, pick up trucks, campers, motorcycles, and anything else with wheels and an engine.  The realization that I will never purchase a vehicle for my primary use again, has hit me hard.  I have described my indecision over future living accommodations.  But again, I know, more and more, that we need to be in a facility that has the capability to deal with my issues now and in the future.

I used to say that I wanted to retire before I was drooling on my shirt and wetting my pants.  I did, and I am glad that we were able to do that.  Because now, half of that statement is a reality!  So again, I am being reminded on a daily basis that independently living is a thing of the past for me.

Just the same, I am sure that I will have another fluctuation where I am pricing out a new truck and property in the country!  My wife understands and "Humors" me.  She know this will pass, soon.

Just in the time I have spent writing this post, my mental outlook and attention has slipped and I am having difficulty concentrating on what I want to say.  That is a constant struggle for me that my wife and I notice more and more.  It effects everything I do.  We notice it even when I am conducting our Bible study at the local assisted living facility.  Thank God, those folks understand!


No comments:

Post a Comment