Thursday, February 13, 2014

Death, our next step

Today, I was notified that three separate men who I was contacted to, directly or indirectly, passed away.   Death is always a sobering event for us.  We cling to life so strongly that we fear death.  Why, because it is the unknown.  No one we can talk to can tell us about death.  What happens when you die.  What is next?  Now, I am a born again believer and I believe what the Bible tells us about death.  1 Corinthians15:52 tells us that "in the twinkling of an eye" we will be with Jesus.  What happens next is important.  If we have accepted the free gift of salvation paid for by the atoning death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus Christ, we will be in Heaven.  If we denied that free gift, our destination is Hell.

Today, three men died that I believe are with our Savior right now.  The first notification I received was the death of a close friend where I worked.  His Dad was a World War Two veteran who spent the entire War on the USS Bache (DD-470).  He survived two Kamikaze attacks.   Don and I shared stories about our Dads.  Their habits, humorous times, and life stories.  We used to laugh at how our Dads did things, and how WE were becoming our Dads as we aged!  His Dad passed away a couple of days ago.  I know Don will miss him.  I do too and I never met him.

The second was a man who suffered from the same disease that I do.  He was also a Navy Gunner's Mate.  I faithfully read his wife's Blog as she described her journey as a caregiver for her husband who had Lewy Body Dementia.  Our kinship in our journey made his passing personal for me.

Then, this evening, we received a telephone call from my wife's 93 year old cousin in Iowa.  Her husband, a great man of God, passed away this morning.  This was a second marriage for both of them.  Both were widowed early in life and they married and had 27 great years together.  Louis was a great example of a husband, man, and Christian.   He and I became friends when we visited them a few years ago.  It was like we had always been together.  He passed from this life into the presence of the Lord, quietly, gently, in his sleep.  Just as if Jesus Himself was ushering Louis into Heaven.

 Looking at today's events, my fear of Death has all but passed.   But I marvel at the passing of people I know.  Yes, I miss them.  But in most cases, I realize they are in the presence of the Lord.  They are in His loving arms.  Welcomed home.  That is something to look forward too, not fear.

No comments:

Post a Comment