Monday, January 13, 2014

The importance of an early diagnosis

Today, at the rec center, I ran into one of the few individuals I know with LBD.  He was originally diagnosed with Parkinson's even though his original neurologist thought he had LBD but never did the follow up work to prove his theory.  Because of that, he has gone years without the memory drugs that could have extended his cognitive life.

My friend is just an example of how important a correct diagnosis is.  My neurologist in Virginia Beach, Dr. Mary Bowles, was very tenacious in determining exactly what I had.  She then prescribed Razadyne and Namenda, even before my memory issues became serious.  Later, I read on the Lewy Body Dementia Association website that early use of Arecept or Razadyne and Namenda will extend the cognitive health of LBD patients.  She was truly ahead of her time.

Now, a few years later, the medicines are loosing their effectiveness or the disease is progressing past the impact of the drugs, I don't know which.  But I am grateful for the time that Dr. Bowles bought for me.

My friends wife and I talked today about his recent LBD diagnosis and some of his symptoms.  It seems his hallucinations have increased and she wanted to know if I experienced that issue.  We compared notes about my hallucinations.  Then my friend that I play table tennis with talked about his recent dreams.  He had Parkinson's and that is apparent.  PD does have memory issues in the later state and he is in a progressed state of the disease.  He recently had one of the "Reality" dreams that actually continued into his waking hours.  But it is remarkable how closely LBD and PD relate.  Remember, not to long ago, LBD was called Parkinson's with Dementia!   So, it is no surprise that we have such difficulty correctly diagnosing LBD.

Now, don't get me wrong.  I am not a doctor.  I only know what I have learned about LBD and PD since I first had my problems.  Most is from the Internet.  I realize there is much more correct information that I have not read or don't understand.  But I do know that a correct diagnosis is tantamount to proper drug prescriptions.  And that will extend your cognitive health.  

1 comment:

  1. Nice blogging .. very good post.

    John Phanchalad at JP Digital Tech have a very good track record in digital media marketing. For more you can visit on http://jpdigitaltech.com

    ReplyDelete