Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Sun Downing is really becoming an issue!

Winter is coming, even in Florida, and the days are getting shorter.  Darkness causes Sun Downing.  A symptom of dementia.  I suffer from this issue and have for quite a while.  But lately, it is becoming more pronounced and more of a problem for me and my wife.

As the sun goes down and the house gets darker, even with lamps on high, I get agitated, grouchy, and easily upset.  Comments made take on negative connotations i my mind and I get angry and combative.  Not physically, at least not yet.  But outbursts are common and my anger is noticeable.

This is new as I have written before, since the LBD has progressed I have tried earnestly to control my temper.  I know how angry I can get and I don't want that temperament to take over my life.  But, lately, as it gets dark, my mood does too.

I must always know where my wife is and anything she says can invoke a grumpy response from me.  If she goes into another room and I don't notice I yell for her.  I even get angry with Marcel the Wonder Dog.

I will go to bed early if I feel I am overwhelmed with the Sun Downing and that has become a habit lately.  Sometime escape to the sleep world is the better part of discretion.  I hope I can keep that level of self-control.

As far as I know, there is no help for this.  As my best friend Jerry says;  "It is what it is."  And ith that, I am going to bed.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Silverfox, today I have been reading your blog. My sister in law has just been diagnosed with LBD - we have known for some time that there was something more going on as she was first diagnosed 6 years ago with early onset dementia but over the past year she has deteriorated quite a lot. Thank you for your openess and honesty - it is giving me a closer insight to what my family is going through. We live 2000 kilometres apart and it is a little difficult to catch up. I will read some more xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi again Silverfox, I notice that my dad has changes in attitude/personality now that the days are shorter. The other night we were watching a movie and his eyes started burning, got quite irritated and went to bed. I would be irritated also if my eyes continually burned. We haven't quite figured out what is causing it though. Anyway, at night, my dads voice seems to have a "tone" to it although he has never been a man to have a "tone." Always soft spoken. Heck, he never cursed!! If he was mad he would say "Oh Fart!!!"
    I hope you find some peace as the season changes and Thank you again for sharing your story. It means so much to me and my family.

    ReplyDelete