Friday, January 11, 2013

Junior Seau

I read an article about the autopsy of Junior Seau's brain following his recent suicide.   The autopsy showed that he had the same tangles as a person with Alzheimer's Disease.   He was a young man who had physically abused his body ever since he was a youngster.  Football is a violent sport.  Full size me, crashing into each other at high speed, time and time again.  GOD did not design and build our bodies for that sort of damage.  Just the same, he was a young man with old persons issues.

But the question that may be on some peoples minds is;  Why did Junior Seau commit suicide?  I think I have some insight into that issue.  Here is this young, strong, independent, man.  A sports hero to young and old alike.  His Mother's favorite child, her provider.  Here is this man who accomplished so much in such a short period of time, realizing that his mind is not functioning as it once did.  He quickly lost the ability to recall simple daily issues and data.  It may have started with his computer passwords or football statistics of Plays he once knew by heart.  Maybe he forgot where he lived for a brief moment!  In any case, he was for the first time in his life, frightened.  He was faced with an opponent that he knew he could not overcome!   And that fear and frustration won out and he took the only way out he thought would permit him to escape his future fate quickly and before he made a fool of himself.

Dementia, by any name, reduces us to much less than we once were.  Mentally, physically, socially. Those of us who have to face this degradation first hand, deal with that reality in our own ways.  What we go through is different than what our loved ones and care givers go through.  We don't fully understand their pain and I now they don't understand ours.

Now don't worry, I have no intentions of committing suicide.  It is not my style.  And I still find the progression of this disease somewhat interesting, as strange as that may seem to some of you.  But, I do understand Mr. Seau's decision.  He was in mental anguish, pain, with no way to deal with it.  So, he quit before he was fired!

Another thought.  Those of us who have Dementia dread the thought of our loved ones having to deal with the effects of our disease.  I am still OK with my LBD, but I hate the fact that my wife has to go through this.  She does not have that issue.  She is ready, willing, and able, to care for me, regardless of what happens.  I just hate the fact that she base to.  But, that's what "I sickness and Health" meant!  I am blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment