Thursday, October 11, 2012

Plans change, all the time!

I had it all planned out.  I applied to the Armed Forces Retirement Home in Gulfport, Mississippi.  I took a tour and Linda and I were very impressed with the facility.  They even have a Memory Care facility! I thought, what a great place for me.  I could be with other career military folks and especially, retired Navy folks!  Linda would move to Gulfport and I would see her everyday.  When my condition got worse, the Navy home had the facilities to deal with me.  Those plans were changed today!

It seems the bureaucrats that run the Armed Forces Retirement Home don't want me because I have a diagnosis of Dementia!  Actually, Lewy Body Dementia, but they only concentrate on the Dementia part.  Even though I am in fair to good shape now and still able to do things on my own.  I drive, manage long term money, and dress and feed myself.  I even go to the bathroom on my own!  Hell, I am better off than most people under 25!!  But, my honesty on the admission forms caused them concerns.

It seems no one wants those of us suffering from a Dementia related disease.  My wife and I applied to Westminister Canterbury in Virginia Beach and they turned me down for the same reason.  But they wanted six figure money to get in as a well person.  That on top of $2000 per month!  And that was with us having Long Term Care insurance!

I guess I understand their point.  I would be an expensive patient a few years down the road.  But wait, I got this disease because of my Naval service!  They don't see it that way.  So, instead of getting upset or depressed, I need to formulate a new plan.

Right now, I am looking for property in central Alabama to build Fort Donnie on!  My cement house, a gun tower, escape hatches out of the house, a bomb proof basement!  I almost have this plan complete!  I am still working on the air supply for the bomb shelter and I have a few kinks to iron out over my solar and wind powered electrical system.  But I am close!

I will keep you informed on my progress.

1 comment:

  1. Shaking my head, I just don't understand their thinking about things some times.
    I know you and Linda are very frustrated. Please keep in mind though, God has the bigger picture and the better plan and His plans never change.
    Do what I do and repeat that often.

    ReplyDelete