Friday, June 29, 2012

No more medical tests!

I have finally decided that I have reached the point that I no longer will take or tolerate anymore medical tests!  The last test where they shoved a garden hose down my nose to see if my swallower was working right was the final straw.  And believe me, the thing was much bigger than a straw, even a soda straw!!

But there are other tests I have decided not to have.  For instance, a colonoscopy.  No don't get me wrong.  I believe strongly in colonoscopies as a preventative test.  A tumor found early, polyps removed early, can extend your life.  Please get the base line colonoscopy when your doctor says to.  But, I have had half of my colon removed due to a tumor found in my baseline colonoscopy when I was 50.  And I have had a number of colonoscopies since then.  But no more.

It is just time to say, this far and no farther.  On the advice of my neurologist, only emergency surgery is recommended.  So why do these intrusive, uncomfortable tests.  Not to mention the money spent for the tests.  It is time for me to take charge of my medical issues and treatment.

I don't recommend my stance for anyone else.  But it is the right choice for me.

1 comment:

  1. If it helps any, know that you are not alone in this regard. I have challenged my PCP both for myself and my mother in law regarding what tests she wants to order and she will always see my logic in the end, but her intial reaction is to order something else. God Bless. Caeryl

    ReplyDelete