Friday, September 23, 2011

Change of life!!

No, not that kind!  Or, maybe exactly that kind.  My son and his family, moved, very abruptly, to Pensacola Florida 5 weeks ago.  They had previously spent 8 years in the Finger Lakes area of New York.  Last winter was especially tough and they decided, enough is enough.  So, they now live in Florida.  We went to visit them this week.  Pensacola is nice.  I had been there before, but my wife had not.  I knew, my California born and raised wife would love it.  She did.  The beaches, the palm trees, the warm weather, it is almost as good as Hawaii.  Maybe better, since the grand kids are there!  We have been away from our family since they moved to New York.  We could not move there because we were both working and in the high earning parts of our careers.  Not to mention that we both strongly dislike cold weather, well enough snow up to your ear lobes!  But, now we are both retired, and, as you know, I am in the middle stages of LBD.  Still cognizant most of the time, and still able to cope with a move.

My wife has been sick over missing the grand kids and my son and his wife.  This week, we had a great time with all of the family.  I had the opportunity to go to my youngest grandson's school open house.  I met all of his teachers and interacted with him on issues pertaining to his adjustment to a new school.  It was wonderful for me!  I asked both grandsons, 14 and 12 years old, if they would like to have us live close to them again.  You may recall that we lived two door from them until the youngest was 3!!  In any case, both boys were ecstatic to have us close to them.  Of course, y son is worried about me and his mom.  Having him close would be a great help to my wife as I progress.  So, this is a big win to all of the family.

Of course, there are some negatives.  We have been in the Hampton Roads area of Virginia for 28 years!  We have many close friends.  My Navy friends are very dear to me.  I have many fond memories of this area and what it means to me.  There is also my Church.  I have NEVER been associated with a stronger fellowship of Christians in my life.  They have helped me, loved me, been my family for a long time.  Leaving them will be the hardest.  But, the pull of family is stronger than any other pull.  So, we are moving to Pensacola, Florida.  More correctly, the town of Gulf Breeze, Florida.  

It seems a vacation became a way of life.  At least, I hope so.

2 comments:

  1. I think this is a wonderful decision!!
    I am so excited for you and your family :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. family is so important... Best wishes for a safe and speedy move.

    ReplyDelete