Saturday, August 6, 2011

Keeping your sense of humor.

I have really curtailed my travel plans for the summer and my canoeing has been limited by the heat and my upper body strength loss, yet I still find thing about my disease that make me laugh.  For instance, I check to see if I closed the garage door numerous time throughout the day, yet I almost always fail to zip my fly after going to the bathroom!  That strikes me as funny.  Another quirk is that, even though my wife manages my prescriptions, I must know how many pills I take at each dose and I count the pills numerous times before I take them.  If I go to bed and don't personally check to see if the doors are locked, I must go back and check, twice.

Another quirk is that before my diagnosis, I took at least one shower a day.  Now, I really find showers annoying and only take a shower when I am going to be with people.  And, I only shave on Sunday!  I cannot remember to get a haircut and only go when my hair touches my ears.  Then I get it cut extremely short.  I used to get my hair cut every two weeks!

Still another change is my new introvert nature.  As I have written before, I always liked to be with people, crowds, and at events.  I drew energy from large groups of people.  But now, I only want to be home, with my wife, or with my best friends.  I enjoy only what I am comfortable with and do not like new experiences or locations.  I can go to our best friends home and be perfectly comfortable.  Why, because I have been at home in their home for 30 years.  But take me to a new place and I am not comfortable and I clam up.

I guess, I am just moving into the next phase of my LBD, at least that is what I read on WEBMD.  My inability to deal with extreme temperatures, extreme sweating, inattention to life's details, all point to my progression.   No big deal, just the facts.  As a tech rep friend of mine says; "It is what it is".

So, that's where I am today.  I am still interested in what tomorrow will bring.
 

1 comment:

  1. These are my favorite types of posts from other dementia patients. Ones that show perspective: "yes, this is what the disease has taken from me, but this is what I still have and most importantly of all, I still have a sense of humor."

    I am a firm believer that no matter what type of dementia we have, keeping our sense of humor about daily life with dementia is crucial. For me, humor and the Serenity Prayer (which helps a lot if I find myself starting to stress over things I cannot change) help me to get through each day and be willing to get up the next day and start again.

    Best wishes to you.

    ReplyDelete