Thursday, July 14, 2011

Social filters no longer work!

Over the last few days I have learned and demonstrated that my social filters no longer work like they used too.  I looked at the Lewy Body Dementia Association web sight and it is a documented symptom.  I know my Neurologist will say; I was expecting this!  She said the same thing when I acted out a dream in my sleep and punched my wife in the head!  The fact is, parts of my brain are malfunctioning due to the effects of this disease.  Just like my problems with memory, my brain is showing more and more effects of Lewy Body Dementia.  While I am concerned about this, I am not upset because I know it is a normal part of LBD.  However, people that I interact with don't understand this fact.  I have thought that maybe, I should buy a T-shirt that says; The person wearing this shirt has Dementia!  Or, the person wearing this shirt is subject to loud, emotional outbursts for no apparent reason!   I can't wait to see the look on someones face when they see that T-shirt on me.

I am not making excuses for my actions, but I am asking for understanding.  Loosing my temper is wrong, but there are mitigating circumstances.  So, I continually work on my emotional actions and pray that I will be civil, courteous, and polite to everyone I come in contact with.

1 comment:

  1. I would advise thinking very carefully before doing something like wearing a shirt that says "The person wearing this shirt has Dementia!" for two reasons: (1) there are some who use words like "dementia" and "demented" as if they are some type of joke, not realizing what poor taste it is in. People may see the shirt and think you are that group and be offended. (2) I have found that for myself, the best thing to do is whenever possible give people a chance to get to know me before they find out I have dementia as invariably once that label is on me, perceptions of others towards me change - I become my diagnosis instead of the person inside.

    I understand your concern about social inappropriateness as I have to monitor myself carefully also but I think a t-shirt could lead to more problems than it would solve ...

    ReplyDelete