Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Me and the dog have locator chips!!

Today, I was enrolled in Project Lifesaver.  It is a wonderful service that the Virginia Beach Police Department offers.  I might add that many police and sheriff departments across the country offer this program.  You can Google "Project Lifesaver" and get the information for your area.  The bottom line is, it will save an individuals life if they wander away.  Why do people wander, Dementia, Alzheimer's, Down Syndrome, Autism, any number of medical condition.  How does it work?  I wear a small transmitter on my wrist that looks like a wrist watch.  It has a transmitter with it's own frequency, specific to me.  Then, if I wander, the police can use receivers in their card and in the helicopters to locate me.  How fast can they find me.  They did a demonstration a few months ago.  They hid a transmitter and then had the police look for a missing person.  It took 38 minutes to find the transmitter in the largest city in Virginia.  Not bad!!

I was visited by a police officer that, it turns out, was a retired Navy Senior Chief.  We shared some mutual acquaintances, so we had fine time reminiscing.  He fitted the device and told my wife about all the features and services available.  He was very informative and very concerned for my welfare.  The city will have someone come by our home once a month to change the battery and make sure everything is going well.  What is the cost of this peace of mind?  $108 per year and that includes batteries, wrist straps, and a testing set.  I find that very reasonable.

If you have a spouse or family member that is suffering with Dementia, I strongly recommend this service.  Hopefully you won't need it, but it will permit you to sleep more soundly at night, knowing your loved one is protected.

I felt much more secure knowing my dog was protected from loss by a "Chip" and now my wife can feel that same sense of peace.  I am glad she took the initiative to protect us.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for posting this. I have worn a "safe return" bracelet for a long time now nut it only would help if I got lost and confused and someone spotted me, realized something was wrong, looked at the bracelet and called the number.

    It is good to know that there is now something that can actually "find" a missing person if they wander away.

    ReplyDelete