Thursday, June 16, 2011

When to quit

My wife and I just had a short but interesting discussion that did not end with an answer, but just more thought;  When do I quit taking all of the meds that I take?  I have already stopped Sinemet, as I discussed in an earlier post.  We know, from doing research, that Namenda and Razadyne (Arecept) have a limited time that they are effective.  So, when do we quit taking medications and just let the disease take it's course?  A cancer patient certainly does not continue chemo therapy after the Oncologist has decided that the treatment will no longer help.  SO why would I take medicines, designed to help my memory when they have stopped working.  We will certainly know when they stop working because my memory will begin a precipitous drop.  I also need to tell you that I am not at that point now.  However, I also am smart enough to know that someday I will be.  Also, my Neurologist has me on some herbal remedies that she has learned help with the effectiveness of Namenda and Razadyne.  If I quit taking all of these meds, my pill box would shrink by 90%.  Not to mention my payments to the pharmacy!

And of course, there is the practical matter of, how long do I want to prolong the inevitable?  Don't everyone get all upset.  I am just looking at this in a practical manner.  To say that I am tired of taking pills would be an understatement.  They are beginning to replace food!  I take 12 pills at night!!  That has replaced my nightly snack!  After the pills I don't have enough room for my ice cream!!  How bad is that?

So, as usual, Lewy Body Dementia has left us with more questions than answers.  I guess we will just have to keep looking for guidance from GOD.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Silverfox... my mom never took pharma drugs for her LBD. All natural remedies work very well for her. She had a better quality of life while she was home with me.

    Acupuncture works really well.

    Homeopathic remedies work awesome for insomnia and restlessness. I visit my mom every day at dinner time and give her the homeopathic remedies so that she doesn't need a sedative (which I worry about giving her.)

    Food is a very good medicine. I had my mom avoid all wheat gluten and dairy. Dairy seems to cause her to have serious insomnia issues; especially at bedtime.

    Wheat gluten causes more confusion. Same with potatoes (white ones especially) caused her lots of agitation and scary hallucinations.

    Herbs and spices helped her a lot. I cooked with rosemary, thyme, turmeric, cumin, coriander and black pepper.

    Food, real food worked so well with my mom.

    The only reason that she is in a home right now and not with me is because she kept falling down.

    She's doing really well in the nursing home. I talked with the nutritionist there and bring special food for the cooks to prepare for her. Mom wouldn't eat the food at the home; I spoiled her. She also learned that potatoes and white foods caused her troubles... even in her condition she refuses to eat the "bad stuff."

    I agree. Get rid of the drugs. Food works best.

    Lecithin granules = same effect as Excelon patch with no side effects.

    Ashwaghanda = same effect as Aricept with no side effects

    I have a cookbook in draft form that I am working to finish.

    Foods that are great for cognition are coniferous... cauliflower, broccoli and brussel sprouts.

    Instead of regular ice cream, I get my mom ice cream made from coconut milk.

    Hope this helps... there are alternatives.

    ReplyDelete