Thursday, June 30, 2011

New Drugs, old problems

I wrote earlier about my second visit to the Psychiatrist.  He is a good doctor and he listens to me.  I guess that's what shrinks do.  But, he conveys a sense of caring and I trust him. I previously had a bad reaction to a group of medications that lead my Neurologist to the Lewy Body Dementia diagnosis.  Well, that bad reaction and every other symptom listed for Lewy Body Dementia.  A blind man on a galloping horse could have diagnosed that one!!  But, just the same, the Psychiatrist wanted me to try a drug in that family to try to deal with my hallucinations.  Because I like him, I tried the drug.  But let me be clear, my hallucinations don't bother me.  I am not frightened by them, and sometimes they amuse me.  I will admit, the first person I saw startled me.  But the dog did not bark, so I figured he was not there. As long as I have the dog, I figure I am OK.  Right?!

I took the pills for 3 weeks, and the same problems happened, plus a few.  What symptoms?  Mean, argumentative, grouchy, can't sleep at night, constipation, did I mention grouchy and mean!  My wife finally took me off the pills and after a few days, I was back to normal.  Well, as normal as I get these days.  Let's just say I am manageable.

So, what did we learn from this little pharmaceutical experiment.  I have Lewy Body Dementia.  Don't give me drugs from that family unless you want a grouchy old man on your ass with a memory disorder and a bad attitude!

2 comments:

  1. I would not mind the dog either. Better than the side effects of the drugs. Take care and sorry your the mess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hubby's hallucinations don't bother him either. Some times he realizes they are just that, hallucinations, and he is never frightened or angered by them.
    He doesn't talk about them often but does mention a preacher in the house as of late. I never get upset by them either, I just tell Hubby that I don't see or hear what he does, but that doesn't make it less real to him. His Lewy Bodies are causing it.
    I also tell him I have no problems with the preacher as long as he is preaching the Truth. LOL!

    I feel blessed that they aren't distressful.

    ReplyDelete