Wednesday, January 19, 2011

NCIS, Tuesday, 18 Jan, 2011

Tonight, on NCIS, Bob Newhart was the guest star. So, naturally, I watched. I like Bob Newhart. I liked his television shows, I like his comedy, and I liked him in "The Librarian" series made for TV movies. He is a good actor, funny, and believable. Tonight, he portrayed a retired medical examiner from NCIS' past. The present ME, known as "Duckie" was his friend. What no one knew, including the viewers was that the retired ME, Bob Newhart, had Alzheimer's Disease. Mr. Newhart's character was portrayed as a mid-stage AD patient. He portrayed the part of an AD patient exceptionally well. Appearing normal, rational, and in touch one minute, and spaced out, unable to function, and in a fantasy world the next. I am very happy that this sub-plot was woven into this series at this time. My wife saw things that I do, and she misses, in Mr. Newhart's character. I hope all of you watch this episode. It will give you insight into my life, and the life of others in my shoes. Mr. Newhart said, in character, that he was loosing what he was, and sometimes could not remember what he did. He returned to NCIS headquarters to try to regain who he was and his self-worth. I too, am afraid that I am loosing my identity. Much of my past memories are fading. I can't remember the old standard jokes I used to tell, my sea stories are fading, and when I try to remember, my mind is a blank. Mr. Newhart's character said he used to be able to replay all the cases he worked on in his mind, and NOW he can't remember any of them. I used to remember ALL of the electrical, electronic, and hydraulic circuits of the MK 42 Mod 9 & 10 gun mount and could quote you valve designation, circuit symbols, and how they interfaced for the entire gun loading and power drive system. Now, I just don't remember. Part of me is fading away. I really don't like that and there is no way to restore what is lost. People who judge me, doubt me, question my honesty need to watch this episode. I wrote today on the Alzheimer's Association Chat room; "People don't think someone had dementia or AD unless they are peeing in their pants and drooling on their shirt." Much like cancer, AD and Dementia have a start and a finish. But unlike cancer, there is no way to treat what I have and no hope of recovery. Please watch this episode.

No comments:

Post a Comment