Thursday, July 22, 2010

Life's decisions

Linda and I retired in January of this year to be together and enjoy each other. We moved to this over 55 apartment 5 months ago to simplify our lives and to take the burden of home ownership off of her and me. God saw fit, to sell our house in 3 months, with a good selling price. We believe that God has given us an opportunity to spend some time together before my Dementia and Parkinson's gets worse. We also believe, based on much research from WEB MD and a number of books, along with input from my doctor, that I may have as little as 5 good years, before I am debilitated by these conditions. These are all facts.

In our 37 years of marriage, I have made 7 major deployments, numerous training deployments, became a tech rep for NAVSEACENLANT and it's follow on names, and traveled world wide, and spent 5 weeks in Bahrain on assignment just 4 years ago. She and I have been apart much of our marriage and now we have made the decision that our time together will be uninterrupted! There are things we want to do, places we want to see, and quiet moments we want to share, before my memory slips completely away. Don't get me wrong, I loved my career with the Navy, I am proud of what I did and what I stood for. I hold the men and women I worked with and for in the highest esteem, and I would do nothing different. My statement here is, now, with God's grace, it is time for Linda and me.

So, from now on, our time is our time. No more projects for causes, no more events to plan, no more schedules to keep. We are going to do what WE want to do, when WE want to do it. That's why we retired and moved so early. We are blessed to know what the future holds for me health wise. This may progress slower or faster than the medical pro's say, but it will progress. So, please don't take exception if I say "No" to helping you with a new project, or going to do something I don't want to do. It is not personal, I am just working on my bucket list, and I know I have limited time to do some things Linda and I have always wanted to do.

I told my son, who is having much difficulty with my diseases, that his mom and I were blessed to know what the future held. We can plan, reduce the surprises, cherish the moments, and have time to love each other, one more time. He will understand, someday. I hope others of you will understand now.

No comments:

Post a Comment