Tuesday, June 22, 2010

REM Sleep Disorder

I have added to the articles you can get to from this blog a very interesting article on Rapid Eye Movement (REM) sleep disorders. Research has discovered that the part of the brain that is effected by Parkinson's and Lewy Body Dementia is the same area that stops us from acting out our dreams. Since I have this disorder, I found this research very interesting. The diagnosis and pin pointing of exactly what I have has been painfully slow and inexact. Research like this, helps the professionals peel back another layer of the mystery. Why do I and other sufferers of this maze of diseases care what the actual problem is. That is an easy answer. The treatment for Alzheimer's, Dementia's, all of them, and Lewy Body Dementia is a shotgun approach, just like cancer treatment was 20 or 30 years ago. Now, I will admit, there is more available drugs to treat these diseases today than when my Father-in-Law had Alzheimer's 20 years ago. But, if they can pin point the disease, then research can find the exact cause. That will lead to treatment that is more precise and hopefully more helpful. So, I will continue to ask questions, do research, and try to learn from those of you who are suffering from these diseases and from your wonderful caretakers. Never give up, maybe the research will not help me or you, but think about the ones who come after us. That's who we should work for now.

2 comments:

  1. "Never give up, maybe the research will not help me or you, but think about the ones who come after us. That's who we should work for now."

    Well said!

    ReplyDelete