Sunday, May 9, 2010

Progression..

Regardless of what the medical profession decides the final name of my disease is, Lewy Body Dementia, Parkinson's with Dementia, Alzheimer's, Frontal Lobe Dementia, what ever, it is progressing and I see it from within way more that people see it from the outside. Lately, I have noticed a severe depression every night, starting when the sun goes down and lasting until I go to sleep. It colors my mood, my thoughts, my desire to do anything. Anything I watch on TV that is the least bit tense, sends me deeper into this darkness. I feel hopeless, alone, deserted, and worthless every evening. Sometimes, I can escape into my memories of the past, most times I cannot. I feel like I desperately need to cry, but I cannot. I want to scream, but I don't. I find myself staying up later and later. When I go to sleep, I dream vivid dreams that resemble real life. Sometimes they are good and comforting, but lately they too have been depressing and emotionally stressful. I write this because I know some who read this Blog are caretakers of individuals with the same issues. I am asking for advice, insight, and help.

During the day, the majority of the time, I fell good, on an emotional even keel, and in control of myself. But I am beginning to dread when the sun goes down. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

2 comments:

  1. They call it sun downing.
    Oh how I wish I had insight to help you and your wife.
    All I can offer are suggestions.
    For my husband I keep a night light on in the bedroom and our adjoining bath and have lined the stairs with a string of Christmas lights to make the house less dark.
    We avoid intense shows, especially nightly news and believe it or not MASH.
    He likes his hair stroked so at night I lay in bed watching TV and stroking his head. It relaxes us both. He still has sun downing.
    trial and error for what alleviates the anxiety.

    I know this isn't very helpful.
    It's where we are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathy, Thanks for tour help. I printed your recommendations and gave them to my wife. Sometime input from others is more effective than from me.
    Don;

    ReplyDelete