Friday, August 21, 2009

Summer's over.

Well, all the events of the summer of 2009 are complete! Now maybe, I can get my routine back and start to feel better. Ever since I developed Dementia, routine is very important to me. I have noticed increased speech problems and further degradation in my memory. For instance, I have had great difficulty remembering what day it was, our home address, and close friends names. On the bright side, during a trip down memory lane in Cleveland, I was able to remember names of people from early in my childhood!

My wife and I just returned from our annual visit to Cleveland to visit my sister and brother. It was a good trip and a good visit. Except, my rambunctious miniature poodle barked too much and got my sister's neighbor angry. Oh well, they are difficult people anyway. After the trip to Cleveland, we went to Winona Lake, Indiana to look at a retirement community established by the Grace Brethren Church. Since I love the Grace Brethren Church, I thought this would be a good place to retire. I was not disappointed. The facility they have built is spectacular. The town homes are luxurious to say the least. Pricing is fair, and the nursing home and assisted living facilities are good as well. We even ate there and the food was very good. The single problem is the location. Medical facilities are 40+ miles away. In a snowy climate, that is a show stopper. Just the same, it is high on the list of considerations for the future.

Prior to that, our son and his family visited for almost three weeks! My daughter in law needed some surgery and trusted a surgeon she worked with here, in the past. The surgery went much better than expected and I am grateful for that. Since I am so dependent on routine, this visit was difficult for me. Don't get me wrong. I really enjoyed their company. But joy had a price to pay. Just the same, they were understanding and helpful and I appreciate that.

Earlier in the summer, we took the "Dead Relatives" tour. But I already wrote about that.

One nice thing about my trip to Cleveland, I was able to tour my old neighborhood, visit places I used to hang out at, and even talk to some old friends. The walk down memory lane was enjoyable, and I wish I had more time to explore my old memories. Maybe another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment