Tuesday, June 16, 2009

I have a cold.

For many of you, and me, until recent medical issues, Having a cold was an annoyance. It was fairly easy to manage. Take some Actefed and Robitussin, maybe an aspirin for fever and body aches, but that was about it. But Parkinson's and Dementia have changed all of that. First of all, I take so many drugs that my pill box has wheels. If I get one any larger, I will have to register it with the Department of Motor Vehicles and pay personal property tax on it. Taking so many different medicines makes taking anything for colds a real challenge. Trying to figure out which drug interacts with what drug, is a real challenge. Last winter, I asked my Neurologist what, if anything, I could take for a cold or the flu. Her answer was very limiting. I can take the new formula Actefed, and Robitussin cough medicine, but that's it! Anything else, go to the Doctor. The new formula Actefed does not work for me, so I am doomed to breath out of my mouth at night. And with no way of controlling the post nasal drip, I choke all night. I have found that hot tea helps with the congestion and so does orange juice. I hate to be a wimp, but my GP is going to see a lot more of me.

2 comments:

  1. Vick's Vapor Rub!! It still rocks after all these years! ~Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. We hardly ever get colds - I think it might be the vitamin C (1,000 mgs) we take every day - along with all the other vitamins, including a mostly whole grain diet with lots of fruit & vegs. We do eat some sugar though - we're not always good!!

    ReplyDelete